[Wasabi Proposal] End user search language

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 03:51:08 PST 2007

2007/1/29, Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr>:

> Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen writes:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I put together a first take on formalizing an end user search language.
> >
> > http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiUserSearchLanguage
>
> - Which of OR and AND has priority ? (does (A AND B OR C) mean
>    ((A AND B) OR C) or (A AND (B OR C)) ?

I guess it is standard that AND takes precedence over OR, but maybe it makes
sense to reverse that in our case. Think of the case

type:audio hendrix OR beatles

In this case I would assume the user wants "audio files matching hendrix or
beatles", and not "audio files matching hendrix, or anything that matches
beatles"... I think it is non-standard however...

- What should happen when an entry does not make sense? For example you
>    say that <= is "undefined but allowed" for strings ? So what should the
>    implementation do ? Take this as an equivalent for ':'. Or ignore the
>    entry ? Or what ?

Anything conforming to the spec should parse as a rule of thumb. What exact
action to take is up to the implementation. You suggest replacing "<=" with
":", and that is probably a good idea.

Some search engines might be able to handle ">=" as "the metadata property
value is *contained* in the value string". I don't have a use case for this
though.

Maybe it is a bad idea to have loose ends like this.

Cheers,
Mikkel