[Wasabi Proposal] End user search language

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 13:11:46 PST 2007

2007/1/30, Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes at wanadoo.fr>:

> Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen writes:
> >
> > Thinking more about this operator precedence issue... What about

> > If OR had precedence over AND that search would not yield the expected
> > results...
>
> Yes, but this is actually a phrase search which should be expressed as
> type:music "jimi hendrix" or beatles

point taken.

If we are going to have any kind of explicit grouping let's use the
> universal standard for this: bracketing with parenthesis.

Ok, let's not have it then. I really don't think parenthesis' should be a
part of end-user language, but I'm willing to reconsider if there are
objections.

> > In our case, I think that you are right and that it makes more sense to
> > > have OR take precedence, this has my vote.
> >
> > Are you still of the same opinion?
>
> Yes for a simple reason: the natural way that the OR thing gets into
> searching is through synonyms. That is, you are searching for
> [beatles AND live] and get to thinking about expanding to
> [(beatles OR lennon) AND (live OR unplugged)].
> This is very common and made easier if OR has precedence.

Ok, I change my mind back (for now). OR could have precende. The reason why
I am hesitating is because people might find it outrageous that AND doesn't
have precedence as is standard... Anyway I'm willing to take that risk :-) I
would like more opinions on this though.

But the decision will always be a split one, there are reasons on each
> side, you just have to decide something.

No, _we_ have to decide something :-) Anyway things might change when we go
into public evaluation, it's only about the proposal for now.

Cheers,
Mikkel