[XESAM] API simplification?

Arun Raghavan arunisgod at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 20:16:40 PDT 2007

Hello

On 7/16/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I have a few suggestions for updates to the xesam search spec.
>
> * API:
> Remove the session properties search.blocking and search.live. These seemed
> to cause more confusion than I anticipated. These can be emulated in the
> client side lib as far as my scribblings can tell. Anoter solution might
> just be better documentation of course...
>
> Some of you now have actual experience with these, what is your feel?
>
> The reason for having these properties in the first place was to allow
> easier usage of the dbus interface directly - ie not via a client lib.
>
> What this would mean for the api methods:
>  * GetHits should always block until the requested number of hits has been
> found or the entire index has been searched (in which case the SearchDone
> signal will be emitted too).
>  * CountHits should always block until the entire index has been searched
>  * No other methods should block
<snip>

I have no experience with client design, but here's my suggestion:

"search.live" should remain, but "search.blocking"
should probably be dropped. By definition, a non-live search will
cause GetHits() and CountHits() to block till the search is finished.
A live search will never block -- both these calls will return with
what hits are available. This seems to be a reasonably intuitive model
to me.

Cheers!
--
Arun Raghavan