[XESAM] Ontology snapshot

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:37:27 PDT 2007

I've been bugging about trying to figure out how we can please everyone with
regards to categories and sources.

There seem to be consensus on the following: Each object has two designated
*single valued* fields Category and Source. These two fields imply what
other fields makes sense on the object (as implied by the purple arrows in
Evgenys diagram).

Important: There is a trade off made here. We basically have two choices to
avoid a lot of duplication/ambiguities in the onto: Either we allow multiple
inheritance (on categories is all that is needed) or we have multiple values
for the category field. I talked this over with Evgeny and we ended up with
the multiple-inheritance for cats. The example here could be that a
SourceCode cat derives from both TextDocument and Software.

Comments, please. Cheers,
Mikkel