[XESAM] Ontology snapshot

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 06:50:32 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 22:01:47 you wrote:
> 2007/6/6, jamie <jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk>:
> > On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 16:37 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > > I've been bugging about trying to figure out how we can please
> > > everyone with regards to categories and sources.
> > >
> > > There seem to be consensus on the following: Each object has two
> > > designated *single valued* fields Category and Source. These two
> > > fields imply what other fields makes sense on the object (as implied
> > > by the purple arrows in Evgenys diagram).
> > >
> > > Important: There is a trade off made here. We basically have two
> > > choices to avoid a lot of duplication/ambiguities in the onto: Either
> > > we allow multiple inheritance (on categories is all that is needed) or
> > > we have multiple values for the category field. I talked this over
> > > with Evgeny and we ended up with the multiple-inheritance for cats.
> > > The example here could be that a SourceCode cat derives from both
> > > TextDocument and Software.
> >
> > such a scheme screws up our search results by category in tracker
> >
> > we have search by cat for Development Files and Text Files but we do not
> > show Dev files under Text Files. Having a deep hierarchy will also cause
> > lots of dupes in search results for different cats
>
> I don't understand the problem. You can split out the cats by putting it in
> the Devel cluster if object.cat >=SourceCode and in the Text File cluster
> if SourceCode > object.cat >= TextDocument this should be a negligible
> overhead, no?

Actually there doesn't have to be any overhead. In most cases you can
construct/extend ontology in a such way that this is done automatically.

You can easily come up with a set of non-overlapping leaf-level ontologies.

The problem here is that some people consider that text files are documents
even if they are plain-text. At least to me it's counter-intuitive that a
README file is not a document.

So it seems like we need to figure out this now, otherwise it will cause much
stir later.

P.S. Mikkel: sorry about the duplicate. Seems I still didn't manage to learn
Kontact basics. Must be due to KDE's bloatedness ;P

--Evgeny