[XESAM] Ontology snapshot

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:33:27 PDT 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007 17:23:16 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> 2007/6/7, Fabrice Colin <fabrice.colin at gmail.com>:
> > On 6/7/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > To ease the query expansion on the servers each Category
> > > will have a property "abstract" that if true implies that objects
> > > can not be assigned to this category. In the standard xesam
> > > spec non-abstract cats are just the leaf nodes of the cat tree
> >
> > Are you sure about this ?
> > Looking at Evgeny's viz.png diagram, I would think some
> > non-leaf categories would be useful, eg Document and Message.
>
> Ok, maybe  .odf et al could go in the Documents cat, but I think Message
> should be abstract. IM and such would have its own subcat (right Evgeny?).

Yes for IM. It's likely that IM will be a home for VOIP and video-capable
services as well, since there's close to 100% overlap for these atm and it's
changing too fast to account for.

For documents, I'm still not sure about the full list of Document
subcategories like Spreadsheet etc.

It's likely that an abstract category like PIM is going to be introduced for
todos, calendars etc. It might absorb some of the exotic additions to Office
Packages like MS one.

> Anyway this just goes to show that the Abstract property of the cats is not
> redundant.

Since it doesn't introduce any limitations and still may be useful to
somebody, why not have it.

-- Evgeny