Problems with Screensavers and other activity sensitive demons.

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jun 8 00:24:20 PDT 2007

On pá 8. června 2007, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  We already do have one :) , in fact we've had it for like 8 years at
> > least. And it should suspend when either DPMS or the XScreensaver
> > extension are suspended, so it's presumably missing from your list
> > because nobody had to complain about it.
>
> Small sample set so far I think. Only a relative few are brave enough
> to try color calibrating under X11 :-)
>
> Another issue reported to do with screensavers is that some seem
> to do their stuff using the video LUTs, but fail to
> save and then restore the values, wrecking the screen
> calibration. [ Possibly another forum is more appropriate
> to raise this in though - the Xorg list ?]

 No idea what LUTs are, but if this applies to KDE as well ->
http://bugs.kde.org .

> >  As already said in another answer, your best choice at this moment
> > should be xdg-screensaver from xdg-utils.
>
> OK, thanks, I'll look into it when I have a distro that actually has
> the xdg-utils.

 Xdg-utils are very small and you can ship a copy of xdg-screensaver together
with your application. See http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/ for download
and instructions how to integrate your own copy of it with the system in the
proper way.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz