[XESAM] Extension proposal, alternative search services

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:53:32 PDT 2007

2007/6/8, Evgeny Egorochkin <phreedom.stdin at gmail.com>:

> On Friday 08 June 2007 17:53:22 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > Another point: many ontologies can co-exist with the aid of namespacing.
> > You
> >
> > > can lump together results from queries to any number of indexers, and
> > > it'll
> > > work just fine.
> >
> > Yeah, I know. Putting the ontos in different dirs was not meant as a way
> > do pseudo namespacing. We should use real namesping for this. Having the
> > ontos in different dirs was just to make it easier for apps needing to
> > parse the different ontos.
>
> You can expect ontologies to reference each other so the separation is not
> at
> all useful for parsing.

A separation is essential for having a consistent install procedure or else
apps might overwrite each other's ontologies. Another approach is to have
conventions for the file names that 3rd party ontos use.

If it is guaranteed that third party ontos only have one file, we can pile
everything in the same directory, if not we basically have to create a dir
per onto.

Cheers,
Mikkel