[Xesam] Ontology snapshot

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jun 11 10:46:57 PDT 2007

On Mon Jun 11 12:29:10 2007, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> - Filesystem : The object data is stored on the fs

This one I understand. But does it count only if it's a local
filesystem? Or only one that's mounted?

> - Archive : The object data is contained in an archive
> - Mailbox : The object data has been extracted from a mailbox

A mailbox - the file sort - is an archive of mail messages - really
there's nothing more to one than that. I'm sure that someone,
somewhere, has used tar as a mailbox format - with some careful
fiddling, it's probably quite a good one.

> - Attachment : The data of this object is stored as an email
> attachment

Mind you, an attachment is just a part of a message that the MUA
decided not to display inline. Functionally, there's no difference
otherwise. I'm not entirely sure what the distinction is between this
and mailbox, though.

> The metaphor is "the content of this object is stored in".

Immediately stored in?

What happens if I send you a file attached to a message in a mbox
format mailbox I've included in a tar.gz via email, and your search
finds that - what's the source set to, and do I care?

Maybe it's just me, but I think maybe this sort of thing gets left
for a bit, until you guys have figured out what it is you need, here.
Getting the basics working in an extensible way is much, much more
interesting.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/