New Version of the Clipboard Specification

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jun 18 13:43:12 PDT 2007

John Tapsell wrote:
>There is a restriction that apps cannot modify the clipboard if the
>user unselects something.
>
>Programs like Excel in Windows remove data from the clipboard when you
>unselect them.  presumably there is a good reason for this sort of
>behaviour.

That's because Excel is broken and can't represent its clipboard without a
corresponding selection.

We shouldn't copy its brokenness.

>Is there a good reason to say applications MUST NOT modify the
>clipboard if the user unselects something?  If there's no technical
>reason, maybe downgrade this to SHOULD NOT?

Because unselecting doesn't mean clearing the clipboard. That's not what
the user expects.

I'd say it's a "MUST NOT" except when the application has a pretty good
reason to do so (like an Excel-like limitation). Is there any keyword
that is almost as strong as MUST NOT? Is that SHOULD NOT?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358