[XESAM] Spec update proposals

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:24:49 PDT 2007

2007/6/17, jamie <jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk>:
> On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 18:54 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > 2007/6/17, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:
> >         2007/6/16, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
> >         <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:
> >                 Hi all,
> >
> >                 While hacking on xesam-tools[1] I have struck a few
> >                 problems in the current spec and I think we should
> >                 settle them asap.
> >
> >                 Please have a look at
> >                 http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/XesamSearchUpdates
> >                 and gimme some feedback.
> >
> >         It was just pointed out to me that the query schema in the
> >         current form does not have extendedSelectionTypes in the
> >         selectionTypes - this makes regExp and proximity selectors not
> >         allowed by the schema. I've updated
> >         http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/XesamSearchUpdates with a
> >         proposal 5.
> >
> > More proposed updates. I've added a point 6 to the list at
> > http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/XesamSearchUpdates. It has to do with
> > an inherent race condition in the search  interface. When you fire a
> > search via NewSearch the server might start firing HitsAdded signals
> > before you have a chance to connect to them - in fact it might start
> > firing these signals before the call to NewSearch returns! I think
> > this is an optimization we need.
> >
> > The proposed solution is to add a StartSearch() method to the
> > interface.
> >

> sounds sensible - spec looks ok
>
> jamie.

I'm gonna merge the proposal tomorrow unless I hear objections. The
proposal has been generally well received on IRC.

IMPORTANT: I did some small updates the proposal so you better have a
look at  unless you already familiar with it. If that is the case then
here's a changelog:

 * Specify that I want to use a signal SearchDone when the index has
been searched

 * Specify that the xml query lang parallel to the user search langs
'w' modifier is an (extended/optional) attribute 'wordBreak' on the
string element.

* Specify that I vote for the <fullTextFields/> element in regExp and
proximity selectors to specify searches in the fullText scope. Other
selectors can't use this "special field" since it doesn't make sense
elsewhere.

 * Add a new point "RegExp Not Well Defined", you better go read it!

Cheers,
Mikkel