xdg-utils xdg-icon-resource's destination icon name

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:51:44 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 11:48 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> IIUC, we are currently working on an icon naming standard:
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html
>
> KDE will use this standard for the icon names in KDE4.  I don't know
> what GNOME's plans are.  When both KDE and GNOME use the same set of
> icon names, the desktop icons will no longer be isolated from each other
> by means of the icon names.  It seems obvious that users wanting a
> consistent appearance for their desktop will choose to use the same icon
> theme for KDE and GTK applications.  It is then that there will be
> issues.  Those are the issues that need to be solved.

GNOME and GTK+ already support the naming spec to an extent. The MIME
type names, for example, are looked up with the naming spec names, being
the preferred method, and then falling back to the older "gnome-mime"
prefixed names.

This of course, doesn't solve the issue of allowing apps to install
custom MIME type icons. However, as previously stated in several
threads, Alex Larsson has made a proposal [1] to improve the way MIME
icons are specified, and looked up, which very few people replied to. I
would recommend you read the archives and start a new thread to give
feedback on that proposal.

-- dobey

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2005-December/006018.html