xdg-mime query filetype|default

Stefan.Kost at nokia.com Stefan.Kost at nokia.com
Mon Jun 25 23:46:01 PDT 2007

hi,

I have two issues I feel a bit lost about regarding the shared-mime
handling.
> xdg-mime query filetype song.ogg
application/ogg

but according to the matching rules in
/usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml it should reply with
audio/x-vorbis+ogg
the rule is correct (I checked the file with hexdump -C) and the
priority is higher than the generic application/ogg.

I have
>xdg-mime --version
xdg-mime 1.0.1

The second issue is that I can't figure out how to associate mime-types
with applications during software installation. My app has own
data-files that I would like to register right away. The project also
has some optional packages wth plugins. When those are installed I would
like to install the xml-file with the mime-info (if type is not yet
know) and associate more mime-types with my app, unless they are already
assigned.

There is some information on
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/AddingMIMETutor
but e.g. that
<desktop:can-edit-with>gimp.desktop</desktop:can-edit-with>
part requires at least the addition of a namespace declaration in the
xml file. Besides it has no effect. Any pointers?

Thanks
  Stefan