Small change for the desktop entry spec

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Fri Jun 29 10:21:19 PDT 2007

The point of that formulation was to make clear that you can parse a .desktop fils into individual lines, keys and value-blobs without concern for the actual encoding used. Back in the days .desktop files could use different encodings for different lines of the file, there was no single encoding for the file as a whole.

Maybe it should have said "8-bit octets" instead of "8-bit characters".

Now that everyone is supposed to use UTF8 there isn't much difference either way. The only difference would be that the current spec is clear on what to do if a file were to had a truncated (invalid) UTF8 sequence followed by a LF. I don't know if old-style mixed encoding .desktop files are likely to trigger that pattern.

Cheers,
Waldo

Intel Corporation - Platform Software Engineering, UMG - Hillsboro, Oregon