[Wasabi] Kicking of the Metadata spec - brainstorm

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Wed Mar 7 03:41:59 PST 2007

Hi guys,

let me finally comment on this.
In the Nepomuk project we are defining metadata ontologies. This means that
each resource (a file is also a resource but Nepomuk does not only handle
files but all kinds of information entities on the desktop such as persons,
i.e. contacts, emails, tasks, projects, or even paragraphs in a text file) is
of a certain class which has a bunch of properties. The whole concept is of
course inspired by the semantic web, which means that ontology definition and
data storage is handled using RDF/S. Thus, classes as well as properties can
be derived from other classes or properties.
So far we defined a basic annotation NAO ontology which defines the following
entities:

* nao:hasAnnotation (the basic annotation relation just stating that two
    resources are related in some way)
  Domain: rdfs:Resource
  Range: rdfs:Resource

* nao:hasTag (tagging of resources for simple grouping, however, not
    restricted to plain text keywords)
  Domain: rdfs:Resource
  Range: rdfs:Resource

* nao:symbol (assign an arbitrary symbol, ie. icon to a resource, for now
    mainly useful to assign an icon to a tag)
  Domain: rdfs:Resource
  Range: nie:Icon (NIE is the Nepomuk Information Entity Ontology which aims
         to define basic desktop resources such as a file, an email, a text
         document, an image and so on)

* nao:hasRating (assign a rating to any resource)
  Domain: rdfs:Resource
  Range: xsd:unsignedInt

* nao:Tag (the most simple variant of a tag)
    rdfs:label is used to assing a string keyword to the tag, hasSymbol can be
    used to assign an icon.

These are the basic properties of NAO but not all. I just listed them to give
you an idea of how we think it could be done.

The idea is to use XML schema types for literals, i.e. values that are not
resources. Localization support is already provided by RDF/S itself, thus the
ontologies can contain localized names and comments (ie. descriptions which
can be used in the GUI) for all classes and properties and also the metadata
values themselves can be localized.

As already mentioned there also is the NIE ontology which defines all the
basic desktop resources. I will talk about that later.

The nice thing is that additional metadata types and properties can be
introduced by anyone. I propose a standardized method of storing these
ontologies. For example some xdg folder which contains the ontologies or each
ontology has a desktop file defining its contents. Then the metadata types
are well defined and can be used by any application or framework.

Just to get our ideas in the mix,
please comment.

Cheers,
Sebastian