[Wasabi] Kicking of the Metadata spec - brainstorm

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Wed Mar 7 15:29:30 PST 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 21:13:19 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> From a technical standpoint I think rdf and ontologies are great, but from
> an application developers viewpoint they seem overly complex for most tasks
> I could think of. Most things can be done if you just know a list of
> metadata fields to query.

The thing is that in Nepomuk we do much more than just local search. The main
focus is more on creating relations between resources and exploiting these
relations for the benefit of the user. RDF and ontologies provide a lot of
power in this area.

> Another concern is that a full sematic framework raise the bar for
> implementations. It should be possible to have real simple implementations
> of the specs - or atleast provide a good portion of the functionality via a
> simple implementation (fx. a daemonless service spawned by dbus activation
> on each call).

That is true. But one could think of a simple mapping from the full-fledged
version to a simple key-based variant which makes up the wasabi metadata
fields. When searching certain fields nobody wants to enter the full URI of
some metadata type or element.
Actually each RDF property and class is supposed to have a human readable
label. This label is not necessarily unique but it would probably suffice for
a simplified query interface. Thus, the API could support the usage of the
full type and property URIs and the mapping from the simple labels.

> Also, embedded devices should be able to implement the Wasabi specs (or
> again - the essential parts atleast). I must admit I have no idea on the
> feasibility of this - it might not be a problem at all.
>
> The ideal solution would be to allow a full fledged semantic framework
> underneath it all, but expose apis that does not require developers to know
> about rdf and ontologies. There could be a "semantic api" or some optional
> extensions to the current apis to allow usage of the full semantic
> sweetness.

we could even think of wasabi as being the "simple" standard which maps to the
full-fledged semantic information. In the end it is most important that the
information can be reused.

> Another thing - how does the Wasabi query language (
> http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/WasabiQueryLanguage) fit in a Neopmuk
> context? Does it allow you to do the things you want to do, or do you plan
> on using an existing standard?

Actually we need more. That is also what the workshop is intended to solve. We
need a query language that allows exploring all the resource relations that
are stored. One approach ATM is to combine SPARQL with a simple full text
searching mechanism but that is far from perfect.