[Wasabi] Project renaming

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 23:32:14 PDT 2007

2007/3/16, jamie <jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk>:

> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 10:37 +0100, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > 2007/3/15, NOKUBI Takatsugu <knok at daionet.gr.jp>:
> >         Hi.
> >
> >         I don't know why you chose "Wasabi" as the project name, but
> >         if you
> >         want to chose Japanese spice name, I suggest you "Karashi",
> >         Japanese
> >         name of "mustard".
> >
> > I like the sound of Karashi... It does not appear to be related to any
> > software company - although Karashi.org seems to registered...
> >
> > For interested parties: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karashi
> >

> why not be a bore and call it "XdgSearch" ?
>
> (I dont see any other xdg style spec having an exotic name?)

I have actually been pondering if it would be wise to adopt a more "boring"
name... As I see it the name is just a label, the purpose of a label is that
you can distinguish the item from other stuff and remember what it is when
you see it. The idea behind the Wasabi name in this context was that it was
so much out of place what people would pick it up :-)

Specifically on XdgSearch; the project will likely expand beyond pure
searching so it might send the wrong signals. Also I don't even know what
Xdg stands for :-)  - but the name as such might be more politically
correct.

Cheers,
Mikkel