[Wasabi] Project renaming

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 15:45:54 PDT 2007

2007/3/16, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:

> > 2007/3/16, Luca Dionisi <luca.dionisi at gmail.com>:

> > > I found this:
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xdg
> > >
> > > I am for the politically correct XdgSomething
> >

> > Ah, thanks, now I know that :-)
> >
> > I'm not sure if we need some kind of blessing to brand it as Xdg
> > though... Is there are formal *group* behind the "g", or is it just a loose
> > group of people with similar interests?
> >

> Ok,  here's a  round up:
>
>  - Brassica : Already taken.
>  - Sinapis : Appears to be clean. Good because it is close to synapse
> which is a connection, and bad because it is close to synaptic (the package
> manager)
>  - Galanga : Appears clean. G could insinuate Gnome connection. Close to
> Galago and Galaga which are both interely different software projects
>  - Karashi : Appears clean. Could indicate KDE relation.
>  - Pequin : Appears clean. Looks and sounds a bit odd.
>  - Aji : Appears clean. There's something about it I dislike
>  - XdgSearch: Totally clean (zero google hits). The "boring" but serious
> name. We do more than searching in the strict sense though
>  - {Meta,Data}Sauce : Unlikely :-)
>
> And now my brand new suggestion: "ximas" - eXtensible Interface for
> Metadata and Search services. Appears to be clean. It actually means
> something and sounds more techy than spice-inspired names. I hope this is a
> compromise of the suggestions so far. What do you think?
>
> Unless I get better proposals or good reasons not to use ximas I will
> dictate this as the new name so that we can on with the show :-)

Ok, I really want to get past this asap. Having some quick conversations on
IRC I've decided that we will use yet another name:

"xesam" -  eXtEnsible Search And Metadata specification

Why? xesam has the dual meaning of "open sesame" too and there is only 452
google hits on that word (ximas has ~119.000). I know there is an rdf store
called "sesame" but I think the danger for confusion is quite low.

Wasabi is dead. Long live xesam.

Cheers,
Mikkel