org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 06:50:57 PDT 2007

On 22/03/07, Holger Macht <hmacht at suse.de> wrote:
> On Thu 22. Mar - 13:21:01, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > It's one extra method, and one extra signal, so it's hardly much API
> > duplication.
>
> I disagree. In which case is another application querying this information
> more than once? And in which case does the other application need more
> than one specific information. I don't think application developers
> understand why they should duplicate this functionality for those easy and
> rare methods. It makes the whole thing unnecessarily complicated. It
> should be as simple and transparent as possible.

Sure, I think Rob's use case can be seen by example.

The gnome-logout box wants to put an option button for each available mode.

That's 4 dbus method calls for 4 bits of information. The other
argument is that we should just optimise DBUS, or just the fact that I
can do 4 methods in an totally tiny amount of time on my laptop.

Richard.