org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Danny Kukawka dkukawka at suse.de
Tue Mar 27 03:28:03 PDT 2007

On Dienstag, 27. März 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 09:02 +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > reboot. restart is ambiguous.
>
> Restart seems easier to understand to me, although I don't think it
> matters that much.

This is the same as we discussed in HAL: we don't need fancy names here. These
interfaces are for delevoper and not for the user. In a normal case the user
should never see these interfaces. At least restart say nothing. Do this mean
restart the interface/the application which the interface provide or restart
the system? Reboot is non-ambiguous.

> I think we should drop the GetBacklightBrightness stuff for now, and
> punt that to another interface - one of the blog comments provides more
> details about how it needs some more thinking.

No, not a good idea to remove this. In general its very usefull on laptops I
think. Some comments on the stuff in you blog:

> First, there might be more than a single backlight
- the tool which provide the interface have to handle this or the get/set
methodes have to take/return arrays with info for each display. But the major
use case on laptops this is IMO not really needed, there is the internal
display the thing you want to change

> Secondly, exporting the brightness as percentage sucks
No, it does not. It make no sense to export e.g. all ~250 brightnesslevel of a
Panasonic laptop display. If you want to change the display brightness of
such a display e.g. with a slider in the GUI you produce high system load and
many calls to HAL/in HAL. And you can't see the difference between level 170
and 172.
Mapping the existing level to percentage make much sense. This allow you also
to use your settings on different machines with different brightness level
(if you use e.g. a NFS home).
Btw. the mapping to percentage should maybe happen in HAL directly.

> Thirdly: you need to add a "reason" parameter for the brightness change
> signal.
Sounds sane.

> Move the backlight stuff to their own D-Bus
> objects: /org/freedesktop/PowerManagement/BackLighDevices/backlight0 and so
> on. (better use some HAL device name for naming the object)

Make maybe sense, but why do we need these new interfaces which are somehow
only duplicates of the HAL stuff? Would it not make more sense to only
provide one interface to all display backlights (set brightness to 50% would
set it to all displays) or only to the primary display (would make sense on
laptops)? For all other interfaces you can use HAL also directly or not?

Danny