org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Mar 29 15:25:24 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 00:21 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> > > I'm talking about a GNOME or KDE _without_ gnome-power-manager or
> > > kpowersave.
> >
> > IMO this is something the desktop and not a powermanager should implement.
> > KPowersave for example also don't call HAL to Shutdown, it call simply KDE to
> > handle this (via DCOP and in KDE4 IMO via DBus).
>
> Good point.

I agree that power managers probably shouldn't call into HAL; they need
to cooperate with e.g. native session management. I was even reluctant
to add the Shutdown() and Reboot() methods on HAL originally but I got
talked into doing it.

> For system sleep, the pm app knows best how to prepare this
> tricky thing. So Suspend()/Hibernate() is generally located there. For
> shutdown, and thus saving the session, saving all unsaved documents,
> etc. the desktop base itself should know best. So the method should got
> there. It might be clever to let Suspend()/Hibernate() be implemented by
> the pm app and Shutdown()/Reboot() by the desktop base. That wouldn't be
> possible with this spec IMO.

It doesn't have to; the PM daemon implementing this interface can just
forward the messages to the appropriate session manager.

(Of course it would be easier to just remove Shutdown()/Reboot() from
the spec and leave this problem to people who care session management)

     David