org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Thu Mar 29 15:38:12 PDT 2007

On Thu 29. Mar - 23:30:00, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 00:25 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> > People want to disable gnome power manager on usual desktop systems.
>
> I would disagree with this quite strongly. g-p-m on a desktop loads
> hardly any modules at runtime (less CPU and memory use) but still
> controls DPMS and Inhibit control.

Ok, that was a little bit too fast and quite harsh. More correct would
have been:

  I know of many people who like to disable gnome-power-manager _or_
  kpowersave on desktop systems.

> Lots of desktops suspend and hibernate. I've never told anyone to
> disable g-p-m on a desktop on a desktop...

I fully agree with you. I also encourage people to use it
everywhere. Sorry for the confusion.

> > > I think if KDE doesn't ship with kpowersave (or something else), you
> > > want to tell the KDE people to at least provide _something_? Ditto
> > for
> > > other desktop environments. The desktop in question may choose to
> > punt
> > > this to the distribution.
> >
> > Yes, and I'm arguing that if for whatever reason, one doesn't like to
> > ship
> > or use "something", you still should have Shutdown() and Reboot(). So
> > these two methods should not depend on a power management interface.
>
> We shouldn't provide two different ways of doing two very similar
> things. An ISV just want a ticky box "shutdown" that can do something
> trivial, just like they can do on Windows; ISV's shouldn't be calling
> into gnome-settings-daemon or to something else via DCOP.

No, they shouldn't they should use DBus on the org.freedesktop.Desktop
interface or whatever. I'm happy to start the spec for these two methods ;-)

Simply speaking, for me, Shutdown() involves two
basic tasks. o.f.Desktop.Session.Save() and o.f.Hal.Shutdown(). Suspend()
doesn't include either of the two.

Regards,
	Holger