org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Fri Mar 30 02:31:35 PDT 2007

On Thu 29. Mar - 23:43:22, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 00:38 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:
> >
> > Simply speaking, for me, Shutdown() involves two
> > basic tasks. o.f.Desktop.Session.Save() and o.f.Hal.Shutdown().
> > Suspend() doesn't include either of the two.
>
> Yes, I agree. But we don't have o.f.Desktop.Session.Save right now, and
> probably won't for quite a while yet.

Why not? That should be the aim and the desktop people should get their
ass up ;-)

Specs should be defined from the bottom to the top IMHO. Get a standard
general desktop interface and build the pm interface above it.

> I'll do you a deal. I'll deprecate Shutdown() when we have a o.f.Desktop
> spec implemented by at least one desktop. ;-)

What consumers do you actually have for your Shutdown() method in
gnome-power-manager right now?

So if you like to have a spec as fast as possible, go for it, but you
won't get my agreement because it will create more problems in the long
run as it will solve.

I really appreciate the whole approach and the other interfaces, though.

Regards,
	Holger