org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 04:54:39 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 13:38 +0200, Holger Macht wrote:

> Not explicitly. I'm definitely for having Shutdown() and Reboot() on
> the
> org.freedesktop.PowerManagement interface because it fits there. But
> what
> I would like most is that org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Shutdown()
> will
> be handled by the desktop base and
> org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Suspend() by gnome-power-manager.

With the current DBUS infrastructure, I don't think you can do that. I
also think it's a little dangerous to make specifications too global,
i.e. trying to cover all bases.

What I do agree with, is that we need some sort of login-session API
that abstracts out stuff like "save-session" and "prepare-for-logout" -
and then the o.fd.pm API can call into that for a true cross desktop
session abstraction.

We can tell the closed source people (and open projects!) to use
o.fd.pm.Suspend() and then the *implementation* can do the integration -
either through org.fd.Desktop, using HAL to do Shutdown, or just good
old /sbin/reboot.

Richard.