org.freedesktop.PowerManagement

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Mar 30 14:19:26 PDT 2007

On pá 30. března 2007, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 17:47 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > Well, you could contribute to the discussion, or bash GNOME
> > > applications. g-p-m uses a lot of libraries, and loads only the
> > > gobjects for the hardware you have on your system. Try compiling
> > > without DPMS and see the memory reduction.
> >
> >  That's not bashing, that's reality. I'm not going to recompile anything,
> > because first of all that's a strange way of quitting something I don't
> > need and second it's not going to help anyway (unless your DPMS
> > implementation needs 1MB heap). KPowersave is not different, that's part
> > of today's reality as well. There are good reasons not to run either of
> > them.
>
> This is all very interesting but perhaps it would be a bit more useful
> if you stayed on topic and gave feedback to the org.fd.PM interface.

 I thought supporting an opinion did not require one to repeat it, but if you
want: Shutdown/Reboot are basic functionality but power management features
are an add-on that not everybody may be interested in having (see above for
my feedback on that part). Since a DBUS interface cannot be split that makes
the whole org.fd.PM interface optional and therefore Shutdown/Reboot should
not be part of it.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz