Xesam meta-meta-data spec needs attention.

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Tue May 1 09:19:13 EEST 2007

On Tuesday 01 May 2007 07:56:30 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> > $URI(required)
> >   Unique resource identifier of the property. Internally properties are
> > identified by this ID.
> >   Alternative to this would be [$URI] instead of [Field].
>
> I would go for the alternative since we need this to be able to have
> multiple field defs in one file. This is because the format spec for
> .desktop files requires that group headers are unique. I know we can't
> follow the .desktop spec to the letter but we might as well aim as close as
> possible.

We'll do as you say.

> > $RANGE
> >   Numeric property allowed value range. Default = no constraints.
> >   $RANGE=[minValue,maxValue>
> >   [ and ] = inclusive. < and > = exclusive.
>
> Can you mix the braces like [0,1>. I'm not 100% sure this syntax is
> possible with a .desktop like spec. I'm mostly worried about the ['s also
> used for group headers.

We could use {} or () instead.

> $MIN_CARDINALITY
>
> >   Minimum cardinality. Minimum number of properties of this type you must
> > set
> > for a given file.
> >   Lets specify mandatory properties. Default is 0.
>
> Is there any example of a mandatory property? Does it even make sense?

File name or URI?

> $MAX_CARDINALITY
>
> >   Maximum cardinality. Maximum number of properties of this type you can
> > set
> > for a given file.
> >   Default is infinity.
> >
> > $INDEXING
> >   Values=fulltext, atomic, none, TBD. Default = TBD.
>
> Can you please describe what these values mean? I think I get it, but let's
> be sure :-)

I'm not sure myself :)
Fulltext is supposed to be indexed for full-text search.
Atomic is for numbers, enum-like fields(controlled vocabulary)
None is self-explanatory.

I'd appreaciate feedback on this. Is it always possible to derive this from
field type or not?

I've intentionally omitted field properties IsWritable and
IsIntrinsic(Embedded). The reason for this is we never know in advance. These
values should be queried for specific files.

Regards,
Evgeny