[XESAM] Minutes of meeting 2007-05-15

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Thu May 17 05:39:21 PDT 2007

On Thursday 17 May 2007 14:22:50 Fabrice Colin wrote:

> >  * It was brought up again whether this category system should be
> > independent or dependent on the field definitions. Again we where split
> > in two camps. Strigi/Nepomuk arguing that the fields should be able to
> > only be defined on certain cats, and Mikkel/jamie on the other side
> > arguing for simplicity of the spec.
>
> I think it should be dependent on the field definitions. For instance,
> it doesn't
> make sense to set Audio.Composer on something that's been categorized
> as Email.

Indeed not all fields apply to all files/categories. Those that apply to every
file should be linked to a generic File category.

Hardly audio.composer applies to a text document, and if assigned doesn't
really make sense. Such limitations are natural, not artifical. They just
expose semantics better. To human, composer as such applies to music, but
software can only understand this link if directly specified. For interop
with other software, it's better to have explicit field-category links.

Current implementations can ignore this and rely on data extraction code to do
sanity checks.

--Evgeny