[XESAM] Minutes of meeting 2007-05-15

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sat May 19 04:42:30 PDT 2007

2007/5/18, Evgeny Egorochkin <phreedom.stdin at gmail.com>:

> On Friday 18 May 2007 09:22:30 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> >
> > >  * It was brought up again whether this category system should be

> split
> > >
> > > in

> > > be

> for
> > >
> > > I think it should be dependent on the field definitions. For instance,
> > > it doesn't
> > > make sense to set Audio.Composer on something that's been categorized
> > > as Email.
> >
> > That is totally correct, but does this have to be reflected in the
> > ontology? Why not just have this in a written spec, or just implied by
> > common sense?
> >
> > Each new feature/requirement we add to the spec makes it harder to
> > implement and harder to understand.
>
> The easiest way to write it in spec is put this info into ontology. This
> doesn't impose any artifical limitations on the software, so
> implementations
> can ignore these limits and hope that data sources will provide sane data
> just like they do if the limitations are implied but not specified.
>
> It makes easier to understand the ontology for both humans and software
> since
> this explicitly specifies which fields should be used for a particular
> file
> type/category.
>
> It is especially important for software, since it doesn't have any other
> way
> to deduce this info.

You are correct. Implementations can ignore this and the world would still
stand. Your point about GUIs better being able to display metadata relevant
to the object in question (in a dynamic way) is also good.

I think this is one of the points where I might reconsider my initial
skepticism :-)

Cheers,
Mikkel