[XESAM] Minutes of meeting 2007-05-15

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sun May 20 05:18:29 PDT 2007

2007/5/19, Joe Shaw <joe at joeshaw.org>:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/19/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Would the HitType/FileType structure of Beagle not be implicit with a
> > Category structure like this:
> > http://www.grillbar.org/xesam/object-tree.png (this is not
> > the old example again)? Especially if you couple this with a
> Field->Category
> > map (such that, fx, only Objects of category File has the ExactFileName
> > field set) like the Strigi/Nepomuk camp want. Atleast it seem to cover
> the
> > examples so far.
>
> Where does an audio email attachment fall in here?  If being a
> subclass of "File" implies an ExactFilename property, this doesn't
> work.

Right. That was not entirely thought through. I must admit that I find
http://beagle-project.org/Writing_clients a bit confusing though. As far as
I can tell from your words here I gather that Beagles HitType means
"this-is-a" and that the FileType means "this-comes-from", but that's not
how I read that site (fx. Document is a FileType whereas I would expect it
to be a HitType with FileType=File).

I've tried to come up with a system that should include Beagles current
system in a more clear way. The idea is that an indexed object has three has
three things: One Category, One Source, and N Fields (for N>=0).

The Category  is what Beagle calls HitType. The Source is where the object
originates from, a more general thing than Beagles FileType. Fields are
"properties" that are available according to the spec of the category and
the source.

I have another sketch here : http://grillbar.org/xesam/cat-source-field.png

Then fx there could be a SourceURI field so that you could determine that a
given image with source=Archive was from a zip file attached to and email...

Cheers,
Mikkel