[fuse-devel] fuse desktop integration / management library

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Sun May 20 17:34:45 PDT 2007

Danny Milosavljevic wrote:

>> what about

> No.
> Environment variables are about as private as a wallpaper on the entire side of a skyscraper (ok, on the backside, at least you have to look on the backside first :-)).
>
> Try
>   $ cat /proc/3617/environ

oh! ;-)

>> but for modules like curlftpfs i would suggest setting the password in an environment variable.
>>

> Why have it any different for "curlftpfs" than for anything else?

i'm just looking for a simple way to do this. perhaps it would also be
possible to just pipe the password to stdin of the mount executable
(waiting for a standardized "password:" prompt...). i just believe that
ssh-askpass is too complicated. i want to pass the password to the mount
operation in libfusi (or receive a callback from it)...

gboolean            fusi_mountpoint_is_password_required(FusiMountPoint
* mpoint);

FusiMountResult     fusi_mountpoint_mount(FusiMountPoint * mpoint, char
* passwd, GError ** err);

> If you want fancy "remember my password"-style stuff, you can always put a bells-and-whistles ssh-askpass in place (the savefile being "~/.netrc"). And give it the service info (filesystem name, user name, domain name, whatever) in its environment (or read from /proc/`getppid()`, hmmm)

i would rather use kwallet/keyring for remembering passwords...

>> i have continued working on "libfusi":
>>

> I glanced over it and it's quite nice. I like the registry for fuse-able programs, kinda reminiscent of (freedesktop.org) desktop entries :-).

thx :-) ... yes - i'm using GKeyFile a lot in libfusi (for mountspecs
and modulespecs).

>> the "gfuse-manager" package contains a gtk based client which uses
>> libfusi (sshfs works well when ssh-askpass is installed)
>>

> However, I'm not much a friend of a global management program. I'd prefer a file manager context menu entry on directories that would run your program, which would be the following dialog, allowing to mount / umount / union stuff onto this one directory.
> Of course this is just a nitpicking point :-)

well, i would consider mounting "anywhere" as an expert feature (libfusi
could be extended to allow this). for "average" users i would rather use
a standard location (like "~/network-servers/{user defined mountname}").
integration with file-managers and file-choosers (like "connect to
server..." in nautilus) would be ideal - that's why i have separated the
management API (libfusi) from the presentation layer (gfuse-manager and
fusi-client).

my biggest problem now is how to integrate smb. it's hard to fit into
the mountpoint model. i believe every share should be a separate mount
(otherwise you can't mount/unmount them individually), and
authentication should only happen during mount operations...

i would prefer the following simple model (instead of mounting the whole
smb:// tree at once):

1) user clicks "connect to smb server"...
2) the mountpoint property form with username, workgroup, host, share
and mountpoint-name fields pops up.
3) there is an extra "Browse..." button which shows the smb:// network
browser results*). by clicking on a server or share the
mountpoint-property-form is auto-filled in (workgroup, host and share).
4) the user types in username and mountpoint-name and clicks "mount".

*) as tree - provided by a browser service, perhaps dbus.

i hope the authors of "fusesmb" or "smbnetfs" can help me with this...

btw: here is a screenshot of gfuse-manager:
http://www.scheinwelt.at/~norbertf/devel/fusi/

norbert