[XESAM] Minutes of meeting 2007-05-15

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Mon May 21 15:09:11 PDT 2007

On Monday 21 May 2007 21:56:31 Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/21/07, Evgeny Egorochkin <phreedom.stdin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not sure what you mean by "knowing how to display",
>
> Simply that code has to exist which pulls specific information
> provided and displays it in an optimal way.  For instance, displaying
> some sort of widget for a "person" rather than a URI.
>
> It must also know how to filter information so that a user isn't
> overwhelmed.  For a person, inundating the user with all possible
> information about that person in little more than a key-value format
> isn't useful.  Otherwise we might as well just be displaying the FOAF
> file itself and not bothering to parse it. :)

You can have additional field properties similar to relevance boost, for this
purpose it's like Importance or whatever. I believe there will be enough
clues like field type, value range, importance to automatically generate some
pretty UI if you don't have anything hardcoded for a particular case.

> > but when app encounters meta-data outside of the core or known onto, it
> > has to deal with it nevertheless.
>
> Beagle's policy has always been to drop this information, actually.
> If we can't present it sanely to the user, it probably won't be useful
> to them.  (There is also the conscious decision that Beagle is just a
> search tool -- it largely provides information "at a glance" to the
> user; if they want details, another application is better suited than
> we could ever be.)

But xesam also covers those "other" apps.

> > The more structured the onto is, the more opportunities the app
> > has to present/process the data properly.
>
> Sure, but doesn't the app have to know about this?

Xesam core onto, yes, but remember we allow it to be extended by other apps.

--Evgeny