trash specification: Why do we keep around .desktop files for metadata?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat May 26 13:26:27 PDT 2007

On Saturday 26 May 2007, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 26.05.2007, 02:23 -0400 schrieb Liam R E Quin:
> > > Using FAT32 for permanent storage is not recommended, and it's not used
> > > on a daily basis anymore, so we shouldn't consider that an argument
> > > against extended attributes.
> >
> > "not used on a daily basis"? by anyone on the planet? I don't believe
> > you. :-)
>
> We shouldn't write specs for everybody but for the vast majority, if it

and for things like trash that deal with user's data, i'm sure that's a good
way to disenfranchise large numbers of people.

let's say this affects only 5% of people. that's 50000 per million. let's say
that we have 10million users, that's half a million people. it's one thing to
look at %s for things like "do we really need to offer option X"? but when it
comes to user data, forget the %s and look at the human numbers.

until we can count on EAs being ubuiquitous trying to rely on them is a bad
idea when it comes to things like user file deletion systems.

our job isn't to write code that is easy, but to write code that works.
hopefully those two things line up often, but i guarantee it won't always. =)

as you say yourself, INI parsing isn't that big of a deal. and of course
there's the possibility of storing more than just the basics in those INI
files, e.g. what application the file was deleted from; digiKam, to name one
trivial example, (optionally) uses the trash to "delete" pictures so they are
recoverable.

i'd love to see something more efficient than tons of files, though. perhaps
we could look at well known binary formats that are easy to support and think
about moving to them. e.g. an ldb store might work just wonderfully for this
and would almost certainly be more efficient.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se