trash specification: Why do we keep around .desktop files for metadata?

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Tue May 29 17:32:32 PDT 2007

On Saturday 26 May 2007, Luca Dionisi wrote:
> On 5/25/07, Christian Neumair <chris at gnome-de.org> wrote:
> > Using FAT32 for permanent storage is not recommended, and it's not used
> > on a daily basis anymore, so we shouldn't consider that an argument
> > against extended attributes.
>
> Maybe someone still use it.

Everyone who shares files between linux and windows uses FAT32 (or NTFS-3g).
I like the "maybe someone" in your sentence :-)
I use it on many computers, and that's just me, a huge number of other people do too.

> I've considered implementing the freedesktop.org trash specification [1]
> for Nautilus, but I'm not willing to do this in the spec's current shape.

I don't understand. Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> was part of the
group that made this specification, and he's a Nautilus developer, isn't he?
I thought he even already implemented the spec in Nautilus?

PS: technically we don't keep around ".desktop" files, they are .trashinfo files and
they are typically much smaller than a .desktop file. Better not scare people with potentially
misleading statements :-)