[XESAM] Ontology sketch. Feedback needed. This time with attachment.

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:21:46 PDT 2007

2007/5/31, Antoni Mylka <antoni.mylka at dfki.uni-kl.de>:

> <SNIP>
> I think It would be easier to reach an agreement if the solution would
> allow for different levels of detail, both during the creation of
> knowledge and during understanding. RDF has been created exactly for
> this purpose.

I think this might be a good idea. So we have Xesam Core- and Xesam Extended
ontologies.

Here's a brain dump for what it's worth....

The core ontology would not have a concept of Categories - in the sense that
categories defines a set of fields to expect on the object. Any old object
only has a core set of fields defined. These could be (all in xesam
namesapced):

 * contributor (DC)
 * creator (DC)
 * description (DC)
 * language (DC)
 * publisher (DC)
 * subject (DC)
 * title (DC)
 * license (an extensible vocabulary with predefined values GPL, LPGL, MIT
etc)
 * uri
 * category (a controled vocabulary that maps to the cats in the extended
onto)
 * mime
 * creationDate
 * modificationDate

With this simple onto you can actually do quite a bit of nifty stuff. With
this in place it might also be easier to agree on extended ontology as
Antoni already suggested.

Cheers,
Mikkel