about SetProperty

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe tshepang at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 05:18:27 PST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 2:06 PM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
<mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/11/2007, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm just curious why "It is not guaranteed that the session property
> > will actually be used" as stated on
> > http://xesam.org/main/XesamSearchLive#SetProperty .
>
> This was to allow backends to fx. not do live searches.
>
> An alternative solution is to allow the search engine to throw an exception
> on, legal, but unsupported property values. However the client side can
> emulate this itself by comparing the value passed to SetProperty with the
> value it returns.

Since it seems that there's nothing on the standard that requires the
client to actually report such an incidence (non-matching property
values), I think the alternate solution you mention (server-side
exception) is better.

> If you have any problems with this behavior you are very welcome to air them
> on the xdg list on freedesktop.org. Otherwise it is also fine if you just
> ping me, I can also forward to other parties if there are things that need
> to be addressed before 1.0 freeze.

Have copied the reply to that list.

--
my place on the web: