standard dependancy system

Thomas Leonard talex5 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 10:24:59 PST 2007

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:50:27 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Ven 23 novembre 2007 13:18, Patryk Zawadzki a écrit :
>> 2007/11/23, Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec at suse.cz>:
>>> Preparing thousands of packages, I am often thinking about a generic
>>> package description as well.
>>>
>>> I can imagine such standard dependency system one level lower: In the
>>> package source level.

[developers]
> Yay for yet another layer of poorly defined dependencies that will go
> stale faster than you say poof and that will have to be maintained by
> packagers anyway

I don't think anyone's arguing against having a 'packager' specify the
dependencies, as long as they do it by sending a patch to the upstream
project, for inclusion in the main source repository.

Producing software needs input from many people: programmers, artists,
translators, testers, packagers and writers. All of these people can (and
should) submit their input to the upstream project, rather than each
creating their own little fork with just their bit added.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net