standard dependancy system

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sun Nov 25 07:35:47 PST 2007

Am 25.11.07, 13:42 +0100 schrieb Nicolas Mailhot:
> Le dimanche 25 novembre 2007 à 12:44 +0100, Kai-Uwe Behrmann a écrit :

> Also don't forget that many distribution build for multiple arches, and
> upstream authors have frequently been knwon to ignore their own warnings
> in the first place.

Can you elaborate?

> > Is a package featuring a plug-in system still the same when not delivered
> > with its plug-ins? Should at least the name say that it is not complete?
> > Who decides about this? Should'nt the original maintainer have a last
> > say?
>
> The maintainer has a say. If he makes the effort to document properly
> his system people will take his wishes into account. If knowing his
> wishes requires web site or mailing list archeology, he gets what he
> sown.

What would be a good common place for this? A file called PACKAGING next
to README?

> > Distributors should be forceable to meet quite other standards.
>
> Please add this at the start of your web sites so I know never to touch
> anything you produced. Either you make it easy to do the "right

Please eighter quote me with appropriate context or let it be. You changed
the content inacceptable. With the term forceable, I mean a software
mechanism, which enforces a upstream maintainer policy for
downstream distribution. This is quite obvious from te omited context.

> Most distribution packagers will consider that a package that works 90%
> is acceptable if doing the last 10% is so much work than packaging the
> code in the first place is no longer a good bargain. If some authors
> have a problem with this they can either force packagers through
> licensing or stupid interactive setups (short way to blacklisting) or
> make sure their code never has this 10% of not efficiently solvable
> problems in the first place.

From this comment I take, a interactive setup would be quite in sane at
the point of a non desired configuration state as the a upstream
package maintainer sees it. To make it clear, if all is ok the configure
step can run automatic and non interactive.

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management