Design flaw in trash spec

mr at ramendik.ru mr at ramendik.ru
Mon Nov 26 03:31:20 PST 2007

Alexander Larsson wrote:

> I would recomment to just fail the creation of the .trashinfo file and
> still move the data file. Reading the trash can be done by reading the
> data files, and if there is no related .trashinfo file we just have less
> info about the file. A small feature regression for that file, but not a
> huge problem really.

Brilliant! And this has the advantage of general backwards compatibility.

However, if the change is made, will previous versions be able to find and
restore (or purge) that particular file? What will current KDE and Gnome
do if they see a file in the Trash but no info file for it?

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik