protocol/scheme entry in .desktop?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Nov 26 05:28:54 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 12:08:28PM +0100, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Monday, 26. November 2007, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Currently the mime information that allows to chose an application based
> > on the mimetypes it handles is part of the .desktop file. But another
> > item of an url that could be a criterium for application selection is the
> > protocol/scheme that appears in front of urls, like http, ftp or file.
> > So maybe it could be nice to add a new entry in the desktop entry,
> > called Protocol or Scheme, with a ; delimited list of protocols handled
> > by the application.
> >
> > This solves a real use case (well, in my opinion), taking pdf as an
> > example, evince handle http url while xpdf doesn't, still evince isn't
> > a generic browser (like firefox, for example). So this seems to me
> > to be an interesting application property to exhibit.
>
> What if this is not an application property at all?

Then it fails... But is it the same than for a mime that have no
application. And it doesn't seems to be to be an issue as of today to me
since there are generic browsers existing that handle most of the
protocols.

> In KDE, network transparency is provided by kioslaves, and you can extend or
> shrink the range of those just by installing or uninstalling kio plugins.

Indeed, but one could imagine that, if a kio slave isn't present then
the application chosed using the .desktop information can be used. It
doesn't force using a particular application, nor to use a specific
mapping, but it adds the information for the applications that could
make a use of it. That's the same than for mime and icons.

> I would guess this doesn't map too well to a predefined set of protocols?

I don't understand that sentence...

--
Pat