XDG base exec paths

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Nov 27 02:53:59 PST 2007

2007/11/27, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de>:
> Now to the right list:
>
> In danger of defining a new file hirarchy, I would first like ask how
> would it be appropriate to place binary plug-ins for a system wide
> service.
> Both system side and user side plug-ins should be supported.
> My first take was to extend the OpenICC Directory Proposal to include as
> well binaries, but found the XDG paths document[1] does not mention
> binaries.

What do you need user-side binaries for? Running them from a system
service would result in giving the binaries root privileges.

> Any hint would be welcome.

All binaries should go to either $prefix/bin or $prefix/lib{,64} -
these are the only directories guaranteed to be mounted with exec
rights and not shared across different architectures (as is sometimes
done for /$prefix/share).

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution