XDG base exec paths

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Nov 27 04:21:31 PST 2007

2007/11/27, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de>:
> Am 27.11.07, 11:53 +0100 schrieb Patryk Zawadzki:
> > What do you need user-side binaries for? Running them from a system
> > service would result in giving the binaries root privileges.
> I am working on a colour management system. It will feature a plug-in
> system. The plug-ins are commonly refered as CMM's. These libraries must
> be loaded by a say plug-in host. My take is there should be several hosts
> possible. While colours should be secure, root privilegs seems not
> appropriate ;-)

I was referring to user-installable plugins as opposed to those
installed by root. Maybe I got you wrong here. If a root process was
to load user-provided code then no assumptions about security can be
made.

> > All binaries should go to either $prefix/bin or $prefix/lib{,64} -
> > these are the only directories guaranteed to be mounted with exec
> > rights and not shared across different architectures (as is sometimes
> > done for /$prefix/share).
> Is'nt this difficult with a plug-in system.
> Currently I have a config-file/binary implementation. With this the CMM
> can be installed as library in a LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> But I want to switch to something self contained.
> Scanning tousands of libraries to ask whether they are a CMM seems not
> usual practise or am I wrong with this assumtion?

You are right but you are free to create a subdirectory inside _libdir
for your own use and needs :)

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution