Standard for address books ?

Brian aeon.descriptor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:48:14 PST 2007

(Sorry if this is a dupe..)

> As for format or schema, there are vCard, FOAF, and LDAP schema
> defined from various sources. I am not sure if there is a dominate
> standard.
>
> If we can get open source projects agree on a common set of schema,
> that would be a great achievement. :-)

I'm not familiar enough with the various standards, but I imagine it
would be best to use the one that is the most inclusive, as far as the
number of defined possibilities go.  Groups or tags are an example of
something that would be nice to see standardized -- I don't know if it's
still the same, but last time I exported from Evolution to Kmail or
vice-versa, I lost all of the tags I'd associated my contacts with.

Bear in mind that I'm unfamiliar with the capabilities of the current
standards to address different types of information -- is it reasonable
to create a different format that handles the data of all three?  ..or
is one of them capable enough to perform that task?  Another thing to
bear in mind is extensibility for the future -- is it a standard format
that we're likely to be able to change if we run across a necessity
later on?

-b