Discussion between distributions: support from freedesktop.org?

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Thu Oct 4 02:12:20 PDT 2007

(Re-sending after subscribing to the list)

Hi,

I'm involved both in Debian and Ubuntu development, and I'm often
frustrated by how little I know about the other distributions. After
discussing this in a blog post[1], I got the impression that I wasn't
alone in that case.

[1] http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=250

So I decided to do something about that, and to go ask the other
distributions' developers a few questions about their distro, their
packages, how they work, etc. I got quite a lot of very interesting
anwers from Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Gentoo and Mandriva.

I haven't published them yet, because I'd like to wait until I know what
to do next. I'd like to create a mailing list, where distributions
developers interested in discussing with developers from other distros
could subscribe, and ask questions. It would also be a good idea to have
some "static" reference page, but a wiki page would clearly be enough.
It seems to me that fd.o is the best place for this.

Could you run a mailing for this ?

Could I a few pages on wiki.freedesktop.org for this ?

Thank you,
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |