Define standard hunspell dict location

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Oct 5 12:50:57 PDT 2007

Hi,

Well, I didn't really intend to post this, but since I've subscribed anyway.

The SUN OpenOffice.org people are considering an extremely complex
firefox-like extension system for distribute their hunspell
dictionaries. The reasoning being:

1. dictionnaries have to be distributed separately from OO.o (users
wouldn't like a full-dict huge download, or dicts have incompatible
licenses),

2. linux distributions will never agree on a standard place to put
dictionaries, so complex registration mechanisms are needed to ensure
dict distribution works in all cases :

 > It's no problem to have platform dependent pathes for OOo. The problem
 > is that there is no "Linux" setting for this, only a "$(distro)" way
 > of doing it.

So can you put the SUN guys out of their misery and define an "official"
root for hunspell dicts?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot