locale specific for .desktop

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 14:10:40 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 21:25 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> 2007/10/9, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org>:
> > Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> > >Use the UTF-encoded name and recode it to filesystem encoding when
> > >searching for the file? Different filesystem can use different
> > >encodings for file names across one system.
> > Sorry, but that  breaks if the locale somehow changes.
>
> If what changes? I currently use UTF-8 encoded locale while saving
> data to a ISO-8859-2 encoded USB stick. For each path segment check
> the charset used by said directory (if on a different mount) and parse
> next segment accordingly to that. This should work.

File name encoding is not guaranteed to be in a specific encoding. You
can have file names in several encodings in the same directory on the
same file system in Linux, at least with ext. If the user's encoding
changes, and the file name encoding does not match that, or the system
default, there's no guaranteed way to know what it is.

-- dobey