Define standard hunspell dict location

Martin Hollmichel Martin.Hollmichel at Sun.COM
Wed Oct 10 00:04:50 PDT 2007

Nicolas Mailhot schrieb:
> Le Mar 9 octobre 2007 14:13, Dominic Lachowicz a écrit :
>
>> As Enchant's author, I have an interest in this as well.
>>
>> I question whether it's not simpler to:
>>
>> 1) Make sure that Hunspell is built and installed as a system shared
>> library. Make OOo link against it.
>>

> This is not sufficient. The OO.o people want to be able to make an
> installer that drops dict files in the filesystem in a place any
> system hunspell (shared lib or built-in) can take advantage of. So if
> you have a shared lib but you don't know where this shared lib looks
> for dicts, this does not work.
>
> (I don't like the installer idea, so it it can be reduced to install
> foo to standard_location so much the better)

I would like to see this split into two steps:

* create a dictionaries package, which installs the various dictionaries
at any location which is appropriate for the system.

* create a system shared hunspell package which is able to find the
installed dictionaries

Most important is to find a maintainer for those packages and update
them on regular basis and deals with the various licenses of the
dictionaries. Important for OpenOffice.org is to find also a working
mechanism on Windows so that OOo can make also use of this in a generic
way so that there is a chance not necessarily implementing two
mechanisms  (bundling dicts, using system dicts).

Martin