A directory for color profiles

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Oct 16 02:41:56 PDT 2007

> Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:18:49 -0700
> From: James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org>

> Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > On Monday 15 October 2007, Sven Neumann wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> I suggest that you follow the OpenICC Directory Proposal
> >>
> >> http://www.oyranos.com/wiki/index.php?title=OpenIccDirectoryProposal
> >>
> >> as linked from http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc
> > Re-reading the spec, am I correct that I am allowed to create a directory
> > in /usr/share/color/profiles called, for instance, "koffice" and copy the
> > profiles inside, and that would solve the conflict problem in case scribus or
> > the gimp also ship those profiles ?
> >
> IIUC, while that is not the intent of the spec, which is for apps to
> share profile files, it does appear that since the XDG directory "icc"
> is to be searched recursively that this would work.

What concerns do you see with recursive directory scanning?

We had some requests from profile vendors to put in theire folder and
thats the profile installation is done. Except this vendor grouping, we
are free to easily support thematical grouping on a later stage. The
profiles itselve give not always a glue about customer needs. The proposal
touches the later feature already.

Slighly similiar, of what I think, ColorSync allowes different locations
too. This is for instance necessary to support the bundles approach. So
the systems sees ICC profile folders inside bundles after some ColorSync
calls.

On windows I know about havy complaints to a single huge folder and many
users not knowing, which files to clean up and which are vital. Not shure
if this has gone with XP/Vista.

So until there is no other way around how to manage the masses of ICC
profiles, I'd say nesting is essential. Of course the Oyranos
implemtatation supports recursive directory scanning. As I see mentioning
standard profiles from different applications, I'd like to point out,
Oyranos shippes a group of standard profiles, like sRGB, AdobeRGB,
ECI-v2(L-Star), ECI CMYK's, Lab/XYZ and some more. It is much like the
Create shared resources.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management
www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org + www.cinepaint.org

PS: I croos post to OpenICC, so, sorry for double appearance.