locale specific for .desktop

Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center Takao.Fujiwara at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 18 04:09:47 PDT 2007

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em Thursday 18 October 2007 12:34:01 Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
> escreveu:
>
>>>Why shouldn't someone using a different locale see the application?
>>
>>Because the application does not work on other locales.
>>E.g. some countries use limited languages only. Chinese dictionary
>>applications are used in China but if Japanese users launch the dictionary
>>applications, they expect Japanese dictionaries are available but actually
>>the application provides Chinese dictionary only. In that case, we expect
>>the application is shown in the panel on zh locales only. If we have the
>>case to support the minority that the users use Chinese dictionary in
>>Japan, the idea is zh_JP.UTF-8 will be generated or just can use setenv.
>>But showing the menu item gives the locales high visibility.
>

> And that's where we disagree.
>
> If you have a Chinese dictionary application, you want to see it no matter
> whether your desktop's language is Japanese, Chinese, English or Swahili.
> You're assuming that people who want to read the Chinese dictionary are using
> a Chinese desktop, which isn't true -- for instance, some techie people could
> be using an English desktop in China because there is no Chinese translation
> for it yet.

The problem is the ability to show the limited locales only by default installation.
If this feature is implemented, your case is also covered, e.g.

OnlyShowInLang=zh_CN,en_CN or OnlyShowInLang=zh,en

But the default value is designed in the system supportability and it also has the extention for each request.

> Now, if the application is simply "Dictionary", then it should detect the
> desktop language when loaded and offer that language as the default choice
> when loaded. But it should not prevent users from accessing other
> dictionaries it provides.

I think it depends how to configure the system supportability. we need the framework to prevent some users from accessing with the user's requests.