locale specific for .desktop

Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center Takao.Fujiwara at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 18 05:11:38 PDT 2007

Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> 2007/10/18, Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center <Takao.Fujiwara at sun.com>:
>
>>Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>>
>>>Why? If I take my laptop to Japan it will still run in pl_PL locale
>>>but my demand for software might change. I strongly believe (and
>>>others seem they also do) that hiding an application from the user is
>>>doing him a bad favor.
>>
>>The users don't have the bad favor because the system is configured under the default configuration and it means the users are properly explained how to show the specific application when they change the locales.
>

> Why would anyone be forced to change locale settings in order to be
> able to use an application? Locales were implemented to give
> applications a chance of better integration with local customs.

Because the application and/or the system configuraters have the recommendation of the specific locales and the default settings are required by the local customers.

> What if I happen to be a traveller type of person and 3 applications
> want me to change the locale to 3 different settings? Not to mention
> that while I would be capable of finding something on a map of Tokyo,

Yes, the travellers do and also they can receives a kind of services under the contract.

> I would most certainly not know the right words to switch the locale
> back if I switched my machine to jp_JP.

Pardon me, I may not understand your last sentense.

> I also know people who use different settings for different LC_* variables.

Yes, those changes should be considered.
Please note users can launch the application directly with the command line if they need.