locale specific for .desktop

Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center Takao.Fujiwara at Sun.COM
Sun Oct 21 23:11:34 PDT 2007

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 17:55 +0900, Takao Fujiwara - Tokyo S/W Center
> wrote:
>

>>Some of the applications are used on one locale only, e.g. Chinese
>>dictionary application, Japan road map application.
>>The situlation is, those applications are used for one country only,
>>the native persons require to show the application by default, the
>>native person usually uses one locale only.
>>But we don't have suitable applications for all locales so
>>the .desktop needs to be shown on one locale only.
>

> No app should ever show for only one locale. I have friends that live
> all over the world. I would want to see a map application, or
> dictionary, no matter what. If the application does not have sufficient

Even if you want a map application for all regions, the application works on one region and one locale only. It's a problem the limited application is shown on other locales by defalt.
It assures the application works on desktop on a locale but don't support the application is launched on other locales. technically users can modify .desktop but actual modifications are done under a support.
I think showing a desktop item causes several senses; visibility, introduction of the major applications, desktop theme. If one locale wants to show a desktop to add the application into the major applications, the case would not be a simple integration for other locales.

> translation to other languages, that is a problem with the application,
> not the user, the user's environment, the XDG specs, or anything else.
> If your problem is you lack translations, then you should make the
> translation department at Sun fix it, not the XDG Desktop File spec.

Translation is one of the problem but not all. Adding translations causes a cost and it's out of the engineering issue.